Pre-Operative Bariatric Surgery Psychological Evaluation
What Is A Bariatric Psychological Assessment?
Is The Assessment Covered by Insurance?
At times, insurance will cover this service. Melange Staff will call the patient's insurance company to determine if the bariatric psychological assessment is a covered service. If not, a fee-for-service arrangement is made.
Who Conducts the Evaluation?
The pre-operative psychological evaluation will be conducted by a psychologist or
psychiatrist qualified in the assessment and diagnosis of mental health illness with
familiarity of bariatric surgery procedures, follow-up, and required behavioral changes.
The Evaluation May Consist Of:
1. Review of the medical record including mental or behavioral health record
2. The use of specific psychological assessment instruments
3. Clinical interview
Specific items to assess with interview and review of medical record include:
1. Active psychosis and alcohol or substance use disorders
2. Other mental health illness (active, inactive, hospitalizations)
3. Borderline personality disorder
4. Social/family situation and supports
5. Follow up abnormal results from psychological instruments used
6. Discussion of alternative plans should patient be turned down for surgery